If you have some money to spend on paid advertising, it can definitely be a worthwhile investment. Paid advertising allows you to target specific audiences with your products and generate traffic to your listings immediately. Paid advertising is the only method that some online sellers, especially dropshippers, use to make sales. If you can, it’s optimal to use a mix of free and paid marketing to give your online store the best chance of success.
- Facebook Ads – Facebook is the world’s largest social media platform with 2.4 billion users. It also has one of the most advanced advertising platforms that allows you to target people based on their location, age, gender, interests, and online behavior. This is an extremely powerful tool for online sellers. It does cost money, but you can start with a strategy that costs just $10-$20 a day and once you find an advertisement that’s working and converting customers, you can start spending more. The more you advertise, the more data Facebook collects on your audiences. This helps with targeting and retargeting, helping Facebook to connect your ads with the people who are most likely to purchase your products. Facebook Ads are a case of having to spend money to make money.
- Instagram Ads – Facebook owns Instagram, so the ads you set up on Facebook can also run on Instagram. You can choose to run ads on Instagram as posts or stories and you can target people the same way that you can with Facebook. You want to create ads that are native to the platform, meaning they don’t look like ads and blend into
- Google Ads – Google is the world’s most-used search engine. Google Ads lets you place ads within search results. You know those recommended links you see at the top of search results? Those are paid ads. Google also allows you to target specific keywords relevant to your product or niche. You can set a monthly cap on how much you’re willing to spend on your Google Ads, but the average cost is said to be between $1 and $2 per click. Google also owns Youtube, which is another platform to consider advertising on.
Almost every online marketplace has its own paid advertising platform to promote your products. You should start by focusing on the platforms that your customers are likely to be engaging in most. Paid advertising is fast becoming a must have for growth and success in ecommerce. It’s worth becoming familiar with the different platforms as soon as you have some money to experiment with.
Creating a Brand for Your Online Store
A great way to differentiate your online store from the masses is by creating a professional and recognisable brand.
When creating a brand make sure it meets these criteria:
- It’s simple, memorable, and professional
- It’s original (check that the domain name is available)
- It aligns with your business, its values, and aesthetic
- You won’t be embarrassed of it in 10 years