You’ve already got the first ingredient to running a successful online store: A great product! But there are several other factors you need to get right from the beginning to ensure long-term success.
- Good quality copy in your listings: The words you use to sell your products should sell the benefits to your customers. Don’t just use the description the supplier provides. Inject some fun and personality into your listings with creative copy.
- Good quality photos: You’d be surprised how many people decide to buy something based on a photo. Make sure your photos are high quality and show the product at all angles. Include an in-scale image and highlight important features. Great photography is an easy way to set your listings apart from the rest.
- A marketing strategy: You should have a plan for how to promote your business outside of your chosen platform so that you can attract more customers to your listings and make more sales. This should include paid and organic marketing methods, such as Facebook advertising and email list building.
- Ask customers for reviews: Positive reviews tell potential customers that you’re a trustworthy seller with a good product. You should ask your customers to leave reviews in order to put your future customers at ease when they land on your listings.
How Do I Become a Good Seller?
- Provide excellent customer service: Treat every interaction with a customer as though they’re your first and last customer. Be polite, honest, and provide all of the information they ask for. Your customers are your business’ lifeblood. Without them, you don’t really have a business at all.
- Fast shipping: Customers expect to receive their products quickly – often the next day. If you’re dropshipping products from China, make sure your customers understand that and have some other benefit, such as a lower price, that makes the wait worth it.
- Always be improving: Immerse yourself in the world of eCommerce. Try and pick up on trends before your competition. Offer additional services or benefits to your customers. Be adaptable and don’t become complacent. The online world changes rapidly and you need to be ready to change with it.
- Enjoy the ride: Starting your own business should be exciting and fun and, potentially, provide you with the freedom to work for yourself full-time. Try and take the time to appreciate the experience and be thankful that you’re not stuck in an office working a job you don’t like that much. When you’re enjoying your work, you’re more likely to succeed.
How Can I Market My Product Online for Free?
When you’re starting out selling online, you probably won’t have a big marketing budget like major retail brands. In fact, you might not have any money put aside for marketing. Thankfully, there are a lot of ways you can market your products online for free – as long as you’re willing to invest some time into learning how to do it.
- Social media marketing: Every business worth its weight in salt should have a social media presence. Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Twitter – they’re all great for promoting your business and products and you don’t have to spend a cent. You can build an audience simply by sharing interesting and engaging photos and content associated with your product or niche.
- Start a blog: Blogging is still one of the most popular content marketing methods. If you’re selling outdoor/hiking equipment, why not start a blog on your website that your audience will enjoy. It can be great for SEO and will likely help convert customers over time.
- Start a Youtube channel: Vlogging is another option. If you’re good in front of a camera and having something interesting to say, why not set up a Youtube channel and start talking to your audience and customers that way?
- Positive PR: Do something that’s newsworthy. You’ll have to get creative, but if you can do something that generates media attention for your business that’s some of the best free marketing you can get. Just make sure it’s not a cheap “stunt” that could end up doing damage to your reputation.
- Competitions: Try giving some of your products away via competitions that you can run on whatever social media or website channels you’re using. It might not be 100% free, but it can be a great way to draw attention to your business and products.